Remove this ad

richw9090

Valued Member

Lead

Dec 20 09 9:27 AM

Tags : :

I want to limit this category to those who the Creationists tout as their own "scientists".  It is not intented to give exposure to their prophets, preachers or popes.  We want to keep the discussion centered on the overlap between religion and science.

Thanks for your understanding.

Rich

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

LeforaGuest

Probationary Member

#1 [url]

Dec 20 09 10:54 AM

Rich,

Some of the evangelists were what you might term 'gap scientists'.  They argued for creationism with a gap (or 4.5 billion years)  between creation and the day night cycle.  This allowed them to reconcile Creation with the Scientific age of the Earth.  There were many in this group and Jimmy Swaggert was one.  Thus he was able to 'consistently' argue:

"Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact. Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it. ... Only atheists could accept this Satanic theory. [Rev. Jimmy Swaggart]"

"Other than the absolute absurdity and stupidity which characterize the vapid philosophy of evolution, the sheer affront to God as Creator, by the propagation of this lie, and a lie it is, is the greatest insult of all. Actually, evolution is an insult to intelligence in any capacity. The idea that something on its own can be brought out of nothing, is the beginning of this lie. As well, the thought, which is the very heart of evolution, that something can gradually come from disorganized matter, into a well-ordered structure, is the very opposite of that which really happens. If left unattended and uncultivated, there is always a regression instead of a progression. That is the reason the Lord told Adam and Eve, “Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth” (Gen. 1:28)."

:

"THE FOOLISHNESS OF EVOLUTION

If it is to be noticed, there is a bitter hatred by evolutionist of God and the Bible. Consequently, they manufacture multiplied drawings of supposed human beings rising from a molecule through a monkey to the present man, and pass it off as fact when in reality, it is fiction. They foster all of this off on young children in school, and teach it as the truth, when in reality there is no truth in evolution whatsoever.

As well, if the evolutionists have their way, they not only demand that evolution alone be taught in the public school system, but as well, that the Biblical account of creation not be taught at all. If they are so sure of their “theory,” why do they fear the Word of God?"

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

Probationary Member

#2 [url]

Dec 20 09 11:17 AM

That said, there is certainly a distinction between the evangelists and those who actually claimed to be scientists. So your point is taken and understood.  And of course people like Behe and Snelling were in fact real scientists who actually did some very good science.  Hovind on the other hand, as far as I know, never did any real science.

Quote    Reply   

richw9090

Valued Member

#3 [url]

Dec 20 09 4:43 PM

I guess the distinction I would make is that I'd like to profile those who the Creationists turn to as experts, and who they often quote for their scientific opinions, whether learned or not.  Many of those are errant scientists, but some, like Ham and Hovind, are not.  Thanks for understanding.

Rich

Quote    Reply   

anthropal

Valued Member

#5 [url]

Feb 13 10 11:21 AM

I like where John William Dawson and Louis Agassiz are used by Creationists as their 'heroes'.

Known as amongst the fathers of modern geology, they were both also active opponents and contemporaries of Darwin. Many of Creationism's genuine experts are from a similar era when many disciplines were in their infancy. This is to take nothing away from Dawson and Agassiz as they were an excellent scientists and geologists.

Dawson spent a lot of time investigating and explaining the 'polystrate' fossils of Joggins, Nova Scotia. Creationists tend to tout these fossils as evidence for a global flood, but they rarely know that the first person to describe them, and one of their scientific 'heroes', actually identified them as having formed in bogs where the trunks were slowly filled over different periods of flooding and sedimentation over many years.

Agassiz also explained the appearance of erratics, moraines and U shaped valleys as being the result of ice sheets and glaciers, which also refutes the Creationist claim that they appeared due to the Flood.

Creationists tend to 'forget' these explanations when using their names.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

Probationary Member

#6 [url]

May 26 13 6:23 PM

Rich,
I opened this category expecting to find a rich assortment of diverse opinions, but instead found so few OPs that I could count them on my fingers, with a few leftover digits to pick my nose with.  Even worse, "NO REPLY" to any of them.  And despite my argumentative mood I could not find one to which I wanted to reply. 
Of course I will respect your desires to "keep it pure," and devoid of interest. 
If you were to open up a classy dance hall with a big floor in downtown Dallas, then hire a D.J. and demand that he plays New York theater music all night long, while a crowd full of young men and women wearing boots and Stetsons wait around for some flying two-step music or a fast country waltz, how long would you expect to stay in business? 
Your policy keeps the dance floor pristine and free of scuff marks, but what's your goal--- low maintenance or good conversation? 
Why not open this section to mavericks who think (correctly IMO) that both creationism and evolution are F.O.S., or to hard-core creationists who want to be intellectual punching bags for equally hard-core atheists? 
Just some thoughts.  It's your forum. 

-greylorn

Rich,
Sorry about this.  It is a stupid post based upon incorrectly interpreted information.  I tried to delete it within a few minutes of writing it, but my deletion did not take effect.  If you can delete it from your end of things, please do so.  I will continue to learn Lefora's non-intuitive way of doing things.

Quote    Reply   

anthropal

Valued Member

#7 [url]

May 27 13 9:44 PM

There is no delete, but you can edit it by selecting the text and replacing it with a period (full stop).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help